Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
Votes |
Need new carpet and paint. Will landlord pay?

Account Closed
Posted Jun 24 2009, 18:05

Hello!
My family and I have been renting the same townhouse for 3.5 years. We are great tenants and have a good relationship with our landlord. Anyway, the townhouses were brand new when we moved in so the house has been settling causing paint cracks in the corners of several walls and it has caused the baseboard woodwork to separate and crack in several places. The carpet in the living room is nasty. It's very worn out and dirty and I can't afford to have it cleaned constantly. I also have a 4 yr old who was diagnosed with Reactive Airways Disease and it isn't healthy for him to be around carpet period nevermind a dirty one. Of course the living room is his playroom and the room we spend the most time as a family. Do we have the right to ask for a new carpet or HW floors in that room only and fresh paint? The reason why I'm even mentioning HW floors is because they just put them in next door when the tenants moved out and saw how terrible the carpets were. We have HW everywhere else downstairs except the most used room in the house! We haven't asked for any repairs or favors aside from a recent decrease in rent for a few months when my fiance was laid off. What are our rights? I heard after living somewhere for a 3 or 4 years they have to take care of carpets and paint but I don't know if that is true. Any advice would be great.

Loading replies...