Section 8

3 Replies

Hi, I m a college student and not familiar with laws. My fiancé and I rent a studio and made an agreement with landlord for a deposit of 3,500 and $1,850 monthly. Now the landlord should us a paper that he send to section 8 stating that we only paid $2,500 for deposit and need to pay monthly $1,995. Can he change our monthly? And is it illegal for him to not report the right deposit we have him ? 

Is he actually increasing your rent to $1950, or just reporting to the housing authority the greater rent amount?

If you had a month to month agreement, the landlord can change it with a 30 day notice (so long as the increase is less than 10%).  

If he is reporting incorrect information to the housing authority, that would be fraud.  He might be reporting a higher rent amount as part of a rent survey to artificially inflate market rents in order to get a higher rent from another section 8 tenant.  I do not know the landlord's angle for reporting a higher deposit.

If you suspect fraud, don't confront your landlord, but rather report it to the county housing authority.

His house is based on section 8. I m not on the program, yesterday he demonstrated the paper saying that section 8 wants only $2,500 for deposit but he asked us for $3,500 (which we gave) and the contract we made was only for $1,850 but now he wants $1,995. He wants that anount because that what section 8 asked him, which he should have told us before he made a contact and we deposit 2 months rent already. Is there any illegal stuff he doing? 

Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

Hi Cristal

If you don't have a voucher for section 8 or moving papers from section 8 then the deal is going to be based on what the lease says. If you were on section 8 the landlord can only collect the deposit from you and any portion of the rent section 8 says you must pay. Anything else would be fraud on the landlords part.