Rental property on Guam

5 Replies

Aloha,

I live in Hawaii and am trying to help my mother in law out. She has a rental property in Guam on the golf course and is currently renting for $1200. I am trying to get the house up to military standards so the military can rent it out. Is there a way to contact the military to see what those standards are so we can get the most out of that property? Any information would help. Thank you!

Ivory

Google search the housing office, also include the base name of the nearest installation, IE Anderson AFB, etc. search would look something like "Anderson AFB housing office". There will likely be contact info there, and then whoever answers may be able to get you in touch with the right office if they aren't it. Best of luck!!

Hey Ivory,

Most military service members on Guam are affiliated with either the Navy or the Air Force. Reference the following link for the minimum standards for the Navy.

http://www.cnic.navy.mil/ffr/housing/homes-mil/lan...

You should also contact the Housing Services Center (HSC) directly. You can find the number here:

http://cnic.navy.mil/regions/jrm/installations/nav...

This site may also help you get a sense of the market:

http://www.guamhome.com/guam-military-rentals-off-...

I was unable to locate any information about the Air Force standards. Hopefully this gets you started. Good luck.

Thank you so much:) will work on that

@Ivory Quintal

The Navy has a rental partnership program. 

The Rental Partnership Program (RPP) is an agreement between the Housing Service Center (HSC) and community housing landlords and is designed to provide service members with suitable and affordable off-base housing and aid in defraying some of the costs incurred by relocation. Housing units which are offered in the RPP are evaluated, inspected and qualified to meet the highest standards by the Navy HSC. The RPP is available to both families and unaccompanied service members.

Landlord Eligibility and Requirements

Homeowners, landlords, and property managers are encouraged to learn more about enrolling in the RPP by discussing it with their local Navy HSC. Flexibility is offered to the landlord, but the following rules must be met in order to participate:

• Landlord has a clean record with the HSC.
  • The property meets codes and CNIC listings inspection requirements
  • Willing to offer a discount in rent (this varies by location, but is usually 5-15% off the advertised rate).
  • Willing to sign a memorandum of agreement (MOA) to the RPP terms.
  • Understands that the RPP does not and cannot guarantee occupancy.

Benefits to the Landlord/Property Manager

The goal of the RPP is to have both the tenant AND landlord benefit, making this a mutually beneficial arrangement. The RPP varies at each installation, and typical benefits may include:

• Expanded marketing (listing of RPP properties given to service members, etc.) of the property by the Housing Service Center (HSC).
  • Applicants’ must have permanent orders for the minimum negotiated lease period at the arriving duty station.
  • Rent must be paid by allotment.
  • Eligibility for housing verified through HSC.

Go here for a bit more information.

Let me know if there is anyway that I can add value to your investing career.

R/

Dan

@Ivory Quintal  I'm an investor living one Guam and my wife is a Realtor. She has rented quite a bit of houses to the military and can help your mother in law get the place up to standard. Let me know if you need help. Thanks. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.