• Real Estate Investor
  • Andover, MA
Votes |
renovating after a smoker

Jimmy Jamz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Andover, MA
Posted Jan 16 2017, 12:33

Hello All (Hopefully this is the right forum for this discussion!)

I recently bought a condo that was owner-occupied for 30 years - and the owner was a big time smoker. The ceilings and walls are disgusting! The smell ... ugh.

My questions are: how far do I go to renovate the 850sq ft 2 bedroom condo? I know the ceilings and walls need to be sealed, primed and painted. I guess my concern is: how far down the rabbit hole do I go? Things like the bath sink have nicotine stains but the vanity itself is ok. The kitchen cabinets are original to the unit and oak and need at least a thorough cleaning and possibly a paint. The oak hardwood is in good shape - not great - and while I hope to not have to have it sanded and laquered should I (quoted price is under $1/sq foot)? Things like the sets of bifolds in the bedrooms are functional but also show signs of nicotine stains.

I am not going to be making much return on this unit - certainly not to start. The unit will be going from an owner occ to a rental due to some unforseen life circumstances. Rental rates around this area are insanely high and growing. We are just north of a major city whose expansion is causing growth in all of the surrounding areas - of which the condo is in.

So my thinking is that with the unit bare and needing a ton of elbow grease to make it inhabitable to a non-smoker, is it wise to also spend a little more on paint and possibly a new bath vanity, bifold doors, etc to try and attract the appreciative tenant? We're not talking getting BOSCH ranges and appliances or 100$ gallon paint. But I have to do the work regardless - why not go a little further and try to make the place a nice one for someone to call home? Or do I go bottom dollar since my return is minimal at this point? If I can bump the rent by near $100/month it is a huge difference in my overall return and the rental rate would be on par with some of the nicer units available in the town.

Thanks for any insight.

Loading replies...