Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Yates
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Serious question - Rent, or live in an RV?

Wayne Yates
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Posted Apr 21 2017, 18:37

I knew that title would grab your attention.

I'm 24. I'm single and not looking for anything until I have enough passive income from real estate rentals to leave my job. No pets, literally just me.

I'm a contractor. Work is heavy right now, but I've been without work for 8 months before and it's scary. That's the only reason I'm considering living in an RV. Even if I rent though, I'll always have at least 6 mos of savings in my bank account. So I'm undecided.

With that being said, I'm a pretty materialistic guy. I like things. I usually rent 3 bedroom houses just for myself. I use one room as a gym, one as an office, then a bedroom. And I love it.

What I don't love... is the rent payment. I pay about $1,200/mo in rent and yard maintenance. I make about $1,000 a week. I have about $10,000 in my checking account.

My parents have 20 acres about an hour from everyone (friends, family, and work) that I can use. Nice land.

I also have no debts other than my car payment. It's a $12,000 car. I owe $10,000.

So without boring you with details... should I pay cash for a cheaper camper trailer, fix it up, and live in that? Approx $15,000 total. And enjoy the perks of seclusion (big plus, I'm introverted), and no rent payment while making pretty decent money...

OR

Continue renting pricey houses and just be more traditional about things.

Loading replies...