• Ypsilanti, MI
Votes |
Unauthorized new roommate

Lawrence Henkel III
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ypsilanti, MI
Posted Apr 24 2017, 11:05
So we received this email from one of our tenants who is one of 2 roommates in a 3bedroom SFR. We state in our lease that we must approve any new roommates and we must be notified if you will be having a guest stay for more than 7 days. When they originally applied there were 3 but #3 decided to continue to live at home before we signed the lease. So everything has been going great so far. Rent has been on time or early and they are taking really great care of the place. Roommate #1 who is violating the lease by moving in their guest makes just under the threshold to qualify on their own and has no credit history. Roommate #2 who appears to want to leave has ok credit and can qualify on their own. This is the first I'm hearing about the guest. If it was original roommate #3 which I suspect it is. They have bad credit and do not come close to qualify on their own. Since there are only 2 months left on the current lease I will request an application from the new roommate and if the 2 can qualify together we will release roommate #2. But I'm considering just sending the notification of non-renewal and getting someone new in there. Looking for any other suggestions or recommendations. "There are only 2 months remaining on the current lease, but roommate #1 has had a guest staying for the last couple of weeks- recently the guest began moving in their personal belongings, staying for weeks, etc and Roommate#1 hasn't mentioned to me (roommate #2) any intention of including them on the lease. What is an available pathway for me to take in this case? Can I be released from the obligations of the lease if she violates lease terms? Thanks, Roommate #2" Thank you Larry

Loading replies...