favorite interior paint color for rental homes?

36 Replies

Hi everybody, I'm stressing over picking a color for my rental house.  I don't really like to paint that much so I want to pick something that will stand up to a small family.  what are your favorite interior paints?

I'm really loving the grey to white shades. They're all over Pinterest. The theme is called "farmhouse"? 

We use a cream called "Honeymilk".  I buy it from Lowe's by the 5 gallon bucket and have been using it on all our rentals.  It is light, very neutral so it looks great with any decor.  It looks awesome with the various wood trims we have in various apartments, and also with bright white painted trim.  

For common areas, we go a bit darker, but still in the beige/cream family since it looks better with the wood colors we have IMO than grey would.

Builders Beige/neutral colours only, nothing decretive. Buy it by the 5 gallon pail and keep it available to touch up between tenants. Paint everything room the same colour and never let tenants do any painting (put that in your lease along with all the other stuff they are not allowed to do).

I used to go strictly white but for the last 5 years or so I've been using a really light gray with white moldings and doors.

Agreeable gray, repose gray and mindful gray by sherwin Williams are all great neutral colors.

We use a combination of agreeable gray and light cream colors that you can buy at Lowe's

the agreeable grey looks almost beige....greige.  I kinda like the honeymilk.  

I use a sort of sandy tone. Don't know if it has a name. Get it mixed in Behr at HD

@Thomas S. is there a paint out there called builders beige?  or is that just the generic term?

I like valspar villa grey which is another warm greige (grey-beige) in a satin finish. It does not have the pink undertones often seen in beige or the blue undertones in grey. It looks good with white trim and various wood trims.

Up here in CT we use the same paint scheme for our of our rentals.  Flat white for the trim and navajo white from Sherwin Williams for the walls.

I find that if you go with a quality washable paint, you can get marks off with a magic eraser. I am allergic to "builder beige." I used Benjamin Moore Decorator White the last time I painted my rental. It's pricey, but the coverage is much better than Sherwin Williams. Takes fewer coats. If anyone can recommend a less expensive brand that they think is great, I'm all ears. Just about to paint my primary rez.

I do vacation rentals in Florida, so I have gone with a pale blue-green-gray color called Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams- it's fairly neutral but quite calming. I guess if I were doing regular unfurnished rentals, I might go with a gray as people are recommending- more trendy than beige now. Good luck!

My go-to neutral paint is "Silver Drop" by BHER.  It's a nice, light grey color.  Holds up to abuse, isn't particularly taste-specific, and is affordable/readily available.

Gr-eige... of some sort

(gray is the new beige) 

Originally posted by @Kelly N. :

We use a cream called "Honeymilk".  I buy it from Lowe's by the 5 gallon bucket and have been using it on all our rentals.  It is light, very neutral so it looks great with any decor.  It looks awesome with the various wood trims we have in various apartments, and also with bright white painted trim.  

For common areas, we go a bit darker, but still in the beige/cream family since it looks better with the wood colors we have IMO than grey would.

Another vote for Honeymilk! I always try to stick to beige/cream. You want something very neutral that isn't too much of a statement. 

For durability, watch your sheen.  Flat on trim?  I don't even like flat on the ceilings hardly.  Hard to wash.  At least do an eggshell in bedrooms and living rooms, satin in hallways, entryways etc.  Semi-gloss always in kitchens and baths.  The higher sheens show more wall flaws, though.  Keep that in mind if your walls have 'character',  

I grab a gallon or 2 of mistints (I have about 80 acquired over time and also  mix like-bases) off my shelf, depending on the home and room being painted.  Some colors go awesome with older places, others with more modern places.  I'm a sucker for earth tone greens, greys and tans with white semi-gloss trim.  Good discussion!  

Gray is supposed to be "in" (for now).  Having said that, it's Navajo White for me.  Used to use "oopsie" paint (tossed a bunch of  oopsie paint in 5 gallons of white paint and it always ended up a beige color) but if I used up all this paint I had nothing left for touch ups down the road.  So it's Navajo White in every rental.  Bright white for trim.

For durability you experiment with different brands.  Lots of landlords like Sherwin Williams, others vote for Benjamin Williams or Behr.  Tenants can be hard on paint so some landlords just give up on brands, choose one color and figure they'll be repainting between tenants anyway.

One thing you're likely to find.  You may stand there with a dripping paint roller in your hand showing an available rental property and at least 30 percent of applicants will ask "can I paint?".  If you're smart you'll tell them no.  If you're angry at the question you might consider throwing the roller at them.

Gail

We have a basic tan color that we use in all our rentals, and we usually paint one bath or BR green or blue. Ceilings and closets are flat white, trim is semi-gloss white. 

The tan is a custom color. I mixed several colors together until I liked the result, then had it color matched at Lowe's. We buy 5 to 15 gallons at a time.

I always do light colors. White is easiest to rent, looks warm and welcoming, and has the illusion of being more spacious. Should be a no-brainer!

Add another vote for the agreeable grey from Sherwin Williams, it's not as biege on the wall as it looks in the samples. We've been using that in our remodels and rentals for the past few years now.

bright pink with purple trim and aqua accents....  oh wait, that's my daughters preference. ;)

@Diane Stinebaugh

"is there a paint out there called builders beige?"

I don't think so that is just what we call it and our " guy" knows what we want.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here