Company recommendation for tenant background check

7 Replies

My father will be renting out a duplex in the next month and I want to make sure he does a background check to screen tenants. 

I'm looking for recommendations of companies that do trust worthy background checks. 

Also, any advice on an effective method to find good tenants!

Hi Account Closed

Are you looking for just criminal background checks, or credit / criminal / eviction?

For finding tenants I'd recommend:

- Posting on Craigslist

- Syndicating the listing our to the major online websites (rent.com, apartments.com, etc.)

- Possibly a yard sign (depending upon vehicle / foot traffic that would see it).

Make sure to price it correctly, have lots of pictures and a decent description in the advertisement.

Feel free to message me with any additional questions.

Hey @Sarnen Steinbarth

Awesome info! Whats the process for getting criminal background checks / credit / criminal? 

Thanks!!

With only a few doors, I've always done my own screening which obviously has a limit as to how many can I support.

Screen to me is pulling the CR, Background info, Criminal info, verifying employment and prior landlords.  There are several systems to get the first three and I always use RHOL.COM which returns TransUnion CRs.

Account Closed  Sure I'll follow up with a DM.

We use SmartMove, a TransUnion service, for our tenant background checks.  Their background check costs $30 after the BiggerPockets $5 discount, and covers credit, criminal records, and eviction records.  It has proven its worth over and over again.  Look under Perks on the BiggerPockets site for the discount code.

The benefit of credit checking should be obvious, but we've also rejected potential tenants with decent scores in cases where they are moving from staying with family (thus no recent rental history) but the total of their credit & loan bills on the report show that paying the rent we charge would put them on the edge of financial disaster. We don't want a tenant having to choose between repairing their car and paying rent, because we know we'll come up the loser in that decision.  

Besides verifying whether the tenant is lying about their eviction record, the eviction report also shows eviction filings, which often don't lead to evictions.  One tenant we declined had never been evicted, but the report showed that 5 different apartment complexes over the previous 5 years had gone to court and started eviction proceedings.  Obviously on-time rent payment wasn't a priority for that person, so we left it to some less-careful landlord to accept them.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here