Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Randy Buff
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bradenton, FL
Votes |
Should I rent to a Family friend with bad credit?

Randy Buff
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bradenton, FL
Posted Jul 15 2017, 10:19

This is my first question for BiggerPockets.   I have a family friend that is interested in renting one our units.  I am pretty sure she has poor credit history since I know she has a car repossession last November.  I have not pulled her credit yet.  I believe she pays on time because she tends to remain at one address for 3+ years at a time.  She has a decent job (School Nurse making $45K+ annually) plus her husband works as well (don't his income yet).  Normally I require an absolute minimum credit score of 575 for all tenants over 18 (will overlook on lower if one of the applicants has 650+).  The property is a 3/1 SF that rents for $1,475 per month in a working class neighborhood.  Should I take a risk and lower my standards and rent to her thinking that she would be a long-term tenant (and help a family friend out) or should I stick to my standards?  NOTE that I have zero difficulties renting the unit when it goes dark - that is not a factor in the decision, just trying to potentially help someone. 

Loading replies...