• Wrightsville, PA
Votes |
The False Alarm: When a Tenant Calls 911

Cole Fisher
  • Wrightsville, PA
Posted Sep 19 2017, 14:48

(Background)

Lo and behold... 

I finally committed to my first real estate purchase.  At 25, it was time to move away from home and I bought a neat 2 unit rancher, with an attached in-laws quarter (unit #3).  While I flirted with the idea of house hacking for quite some time, Scott Trench's, "Set for Life" gave me the extra nudge needed to make this dream a reality.  (Plug--Thanks Scott and the BP Family).  As the entrepreneurial journey of my real estate career begins, I am having a blast! I'm enjoying the responsibility and I plan to steer my business from the "slumlord" mentality (that many investors in our area have) to a quality portfolio with quality tenants.  My goal is to provide my tenants with a beautiful place at a premium price, a feat I think is extremely manageable for the neighborhood I am located in.  While this is how I scripted my business plan, I did inherit tenants. 

Queue in the false alarm!

(Problem)

One month later....

This past Tuesday, around 11:30pm, I realize there is a Fire Police vehicle parked at my neighbors house. Followed by one firetruck--two firetrucks--

**Imagine the nosey landlord peaking through his or her blinds (thats me)**

I calmly watch them as they enter unit #1. My building... my tenants... is everything alright? I get out of bed and go outside to gather intel on the situation.  

"Nothing is wrong." is the response from the fire marshal when I asked about the issue.

I tell them my situation as the landowner, and they proceed to tell me that my tenant called in because there was a weird flicker with there gas stove and the flame was burning orange.  In addition one of the tenants had a headache so they speculated there was a carbon monoxide leak.  Fortunately for everyones health, the unit was tested in every location and there was no leak. I am relieved of any anxiety.  

Now, I keep getting asked who pays for the expense of the fire department. And to be honest, I'm not sure there will be a charge. I'm researching and researching, and I can find no suggestions saying that there will be a charge for the false alarm.  Before I call in to the township, I'm wondering if anyone has information regarding a similar situation? How do you deal with a situation like this? I'm curious to see if anyone has other false alarm stories like this?  I look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks in advance!

Cole

Loading replies...