Tenant left a truck on the back yard

4 Replies

Hello BP community, after a good time renting SFH, last week a tenant left an old truck in the backyard, she is not responding my calls and texts, what should I do?

@Carlos Zapata
Not sure if this is the right thing to do by in my mind it would be to document your correspondence to the previous tenant (assuming lease is up). I would then consider this situation similar to a broken down vehicle on the side of the road. It eventually gets towed because it cannot stay there and is not on the owner of the vehicles property.

You have a similar situation where it is most likely affecting your ability to get the unit ready for showings.

If it were me, I would do the following:
- record every piece of correspondence letting the previous tenant know your intentions with dates and times of when things will be happening and that you expect reimbursement for the tow. I would then call a towing company and tell them to impound the vehicle.

At least you will have properly noticed the previous tenant of your intentions and the vehicle will be off your lot so you can get it easy for showings.

Of course your laws will probably be different than mine but that is what I would do.

Also, review your state laws as you may be required to hold the previous tenants personal property for some duration of time. Make sure the tow truck isn't going to take it to the junk yard. That's my non-legal 2 sense. Hope this helps

As mentioned above, look up the abandoned property legislation in your area for guidance on how to handle the truck.  If you incur additional expenses for towing it, make sure to keep your receipts and add to the total amount owed to you by the tenant so that you can turn over to collections, or pursue in small claims court.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.