First tenant moving in ever. Anything I'm missing?

4 Replies

Hey everyone,

So today my first ever tenant is moving in. I have a lease ready to go, a Move-In Move-Out Checklist, extra keys have been made, and some information on the neighborhood.

I've already informed them of all the info regarding their utilities. Is there anything else that I should have ready for them?

credit check , criminal background check , copy of all over 18 drivers license , pictures of house before they move in 

Where did you get the lease? Self prepared or?
Are you sure it complies with state law?

BTW--download and print your state statutes. Make sure you stay in compliance as a landlord. Last but not least, make sure you handle security deposits as required by law. 

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)
239-200-5600

Whenever possible, I take a video walk-thru of the property with commentary pointing out the condition of the property and any pre-existing damage/defects/dirty areas. Upload it to Youtube for future reference - neither you nor the tenant with remember exactly what the place looked like 1 or 2+ years from now. But Youtube never forgets!

Recent example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Zmt-V75mM

Jeff Copeland, Broker in FL (#BK3326487)
727-235-7988

Make sure they receive any disclosures required by your state. There should be a pamphlet you can print and give to them. As others have suggested, take pictures before so you have an idea of what it looked like after.

On my leases I have a checklist that I go through and check everything off on it's condition with the tenant. So if I look at it after and say well floor was in great condition and you signed off on it and now it's scratched and has a hole in it, well you get the idea lol.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.