Any SF landlord gurus

7 Replies

I am getting ready to put my first property in SF (city). Any best practices that I should adhere to in terms of clauses I absolutely should have in my lease agreement. Stuff just unique to San Francisco. This is a full service building in the south beach area and has no rent control to my knowledge.

How old is your building? If it was built in 1979 or earlier then it will almost certainly be subject to rent control.

Read the SF Tenant's Union website - it describes tenants' rights within the city in plain English.

SF is one of the most regulation heavy rental markets, might be helpful to hire a lawyer to help you draft your first leases/ensure you're compliant with all the landlord laws.

For a building, i recommend an attorney or a real estate agent who has been doing this a long time.  Lots to know.

Thank you. It was built in 2001. I don't own the building just one unit in it.

Definitely read up on tenant rights.

If you are looking for a lease, the San Francisco Apartment Association has one of the best specifically written for SF.

Hi Sam,

SF is one of the toughest jurisdictions to be a landlord in. I recommend you consider joining the San Francisco Apartment Association as they are an excellent resource for information and can provide you with the required forms. 

Yes! If the unit is a condo, be sure to read the HOA docs and make sure you can rent it out (I'm sure you've done due diligence on this).

Are you planning to rent out just a room as your primary or the entire unit?

That will dictate Airbnb laws as well if you ever intend to do that / get more units in the future.

I hired a property management co for my SF condo rental. It’s been 4 years and worked out well. Great tenants, peace of mind and small repairs taken care of without my involvement. Please PM if you’d like a reference.

At the advice of Amit M. , I also joined SPOSFI. Their newsletter is a great resource for up-to-date SF-specific information.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.