Can you evict a tenant in PA if the house has foundation issues?

3 Replies

I have a tenant living in a duplex that I own that still has 10 months left on her current lease.    I just found out that the house has foundation issues and is unsafe to live in.    Can I legally evict the tenant?   I already asked her to leave and she does not want to leave.   I offered to refund full security deposit and the entire months rent.   Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.  This Rental property is in Pennsylvania.  

Hi Jim, you can check out this website which explains the best way for you to get this hassle of a tenant out of your property. 

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-evicti...

Additionally, if she has been a bad tenant, I'm sure you can find something she has done to use against her as a violation of the lease which gives you automatic grounds for eviction.

Best of luck! I am going through a similar situation myself and it is quite the headache. 

The information is contained most likely in your state landlord tenant regulations, they can be found on line.

If a property becomes inhabitable follow your state landlord tenant laws and if necessary I'd probably try calling city code inspector to find out if you can have property posted as in condemned or violation status if needed.. in order to have her legally and quickly barred from entering the property. You live there also??.. you could be also in same boat not able to occupy until reinspected and fixed.. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here