Please Poke Holes In This!!!

2 Replies

My plan over the next year:

- Sell SFH Rental netting $75,000 profit (use for rehab budget)

- Raise capital for down payment & closing costs...need ~$100,000 ($75,000 above not included)

- Approach Fannie Mae HomePath Property (2-units) and make an offer with 20% down

- Live in one unit and renovate property and other unit to raise value

- Rent out other property and house hack

- Refinance and pay everyone back

- Celebrate

Assuming the numbers work (my initial and rough estimates say yes) is this a solid plan? What problems will I run into with banks? Any comments, concerns, are welcome!

Regg, good to see you on here bud :). I'm assuming you have 2 properties? One SFH and another building as well?

The plan is logical. Your net profit of $75k (does this include taxes?) should be enough for a gut rehab of a 2-flat for sure. Quick question: Have you thought about a HML instead of going through Fannie Mae? Might be risky for your first joint venture...

As for help with bank related questions...how about we do a good ole' fashion trade off-- I'll PM you one of my buddies' numbers who has a ton of experience with refinancing and dealing with banks. In exchange, post any advice/answers that would be good for someone who has the same question.

Oh, and a beer or two when we hang out ;)

@Sam Amir Thanks for the reply man and also good to see you on here!

The main reason I was planning on Fannie Mae is because I have my eye on this property that has been on there for a while and the price continues to trend downwards. I am going to look at it tomorrow so I will know much more after that.

I am definitely being cautious when it comes to this being a joint venture since it will be my first time using investment money to fund a deal, however, after my experience with my 4-unit rehab I think I might be ready to take this on.

Again thanks for the post and I hope to see you soon!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.