Kind of Refrigerator for rental Townhouse

8 Replies

I am looking at purchasing a refrigerator (with ice maker) and am debating whether to get one with a water dispenser. The lease will run at least a year.

Any thoughts? 

Hey Minni,

If you are using a property management company, I would suggest asking them what they would put into that property. They should know the common fridge to buy for that rental.

If you are self-managing, I would suggest checking out local comparable rental properties on Zillow to find out what people have locally.

No water and many would say no icemaker. It is one more thing that can break.

What is the rent you will be charging for the place?

Most landlords would avoid a frig with a water dispenser; one more thing that can be damaged by tenants.

A very popular brand by many landlords for mid level rentals around here is the 18 cf Frigidaire. 

If your townhouse is larger (more bedrooms) and thus you expect to rent it to a larger family you may need to go with a larger refrigerator.

Check to see how difficult it will be to haul a large refrigerator into the place.

I would never recommend an ice or water dispenser in a rental. this is not just a liability of repairing it when it breaks, but if the line into the fridge leaks, you could have substantial water damage and I would not trust a tenant to keep their eyes open like an owner. especially in a townhouse scenario, if the fridge shares a wall with another unit your leak could effect others as well.

Thanks for the responses. It is a 3BR townhouse and most times the tenants with be 3 students. For my own self, I like to have a water dispenser, and would like for the tenants to have it, but do not want to be bogged down with repairs.

The 18 CF size should be fine for 3 students.  And no water dispenser!  

We do have several with ice makers and luckily, no broken lines (so far!).

Gail

It really depends on your market. Higher end, I may go with more bells and whistles...

But you had me at college students: get the most durable, with fewest features possible. 

Repairs and parts are expensive. They can eclipse the cost of an appliance. Dispensers are primary wear points, too.

Remember--they will treat it like a rental (and like a frig they did not pay for and will never see again when the lease ends). Many also have pricey filters now too (more cost and maintenance).

If I could get by with it, I would go just the ice maker (hot in Atlanta) but no dispenser of any kind. I might even go plain white, make your own ice cubes. Bullet proof. Done for a decade.

My decision may also vary if you have an existing water line for the ice maker attached.

I think you have multiple tenants and probably can expect active wear and tear.

Best of luck

Least expensive 18 cu ft you can find. College kids are hard on fridges. They can buy ice at the convenience store or trays. I find a lot of fridges on FB swip swap areas.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.