landlord's homeowners insurance

1 Reply

I have rented the same property for 10 years and had the same dogs for those years. There had never been any complaints by neighbors or the landlord.
Recently, the landlord sent me a list of breeds of dogs that are not allowed by their insurance company.
I sent her proof that my dogs were not of any breed on the list.
She never addressed the issue and said I had to remove the dogs or else.

I removed the dogs.
She never sent proof that my dogs were on that list.

I was recently given the new lease. It does not mention the breeds of dogs that are not allowed. It just says one dog is allowed and others must be approved by the landlord.

Should the lease not be more specific and mention the breeds of dogs not allowed?
Should the lease mention that it is the INSURANCE company that must approve the dogs, not the landlord. (The ONLY people that EVER deemed my dogs dangerous in the 10 years I was there was the INSURANCE company, who happened to be there when I was not home. They were inspecting the roof, saw the dogs in their secure kennels, and deemed them dangerous.)

What say you about these issues?

@Elizabeth Rothbart the state of Texas is very forgiving to the TENANT in situations such as this.  Now, nobody wants to go to court but the contract that you agree to will be reviewed if this ever were to be argued.  I'm not sure what the rental situation is like in Forney specifically but if my landlord doesn't like me being there then I'm looking for something else.  Plenty of people out there will treat you fair and would love to earn your money.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.