Still green. Your best picks for tenant screening companies?

6 Replies

Being new, I only used a screening company once - RentPrep and I wasn't thrilled with it.   Which do you use?  Someone once texted me a report that had the top cut off, so I couldn't see the company's name, but it was very detailed and even had recommendations, such as "with such credit history/score, we recommend 1.5 security deposit".   Would like to submit a prospective tenant's application tonight, so please help. :)

I forgot to mention - I emailed RentPrep in advance that I was suspicious that the previous landlord's info was fake and asked if they could verify ownership.  They said they would, but didn't.  Figured out it was indeed fake, but not thanks to them.  

I'm in CA and the property is in GA - 3 hours difference, so by the time I submit the application tomorrow, it will be too late to get the response the same day - that's why I'm asking for help NOW. :)

Hey Sophia!

Just wanted to double back on this. I know I spoke to you earlier in the week to clear some things up.

Only thing I wanted to add here was the mention of a service making suggestions based on data in a report such as security deposit suggestions.

I’d be hesitant with something like that because under the guidelines of the FCRA a Consumer Report Agency should only be providing the data and not their opinion of renting to someone or what security deposit to charge.

It’s designed this way so we don’t steer your decision making based on our judgments. Best thing to do is to come up with a screening criteria for your rental and then compare your applicants report against that criteria you’ve created.

If you want, feel free to message me for a sample criteria you can use for your rental in the future.

I used RentPrep to screen several applicants and was very happy with the quick turnaround and the information provided.  RentPrep did not provide recommendations on what guidelines to follow when considering the applicant, but I believe those are best determined by the landlord or property manager.  Only the landlord or property manager knows how much risk they want to accept, the rental market in the local area, the appearance and behavior of the applicant, etc. Hope this helps.   

BP has partnered with MySmartMove for tenant screening. If you go Pro there's a tools section with the tenant screening.

Eric, we never spoke. You emailed me and that was the extent of our "speaking". :)   Your company has live screeners, which was the reason I chose you.  But... the screeners only call landlords and work managers, which is great, unless landlords or managers are fake.   So to me, if there is no verification, it makes this part of the service obsolete.  I already uncovered one fake landlord and one fake manager from the two reports I ran with you, one fake per report.  Other than that part, which is very significant to me, the screening information you provide is thorough and I might use you again but I wish you did what I mentioned here.

Elizabeth, thanks for the suggestion.

@Andre B. Thanks for being a customer and you’re absolutely right. The criteria and selection process is unique to each property and landlord.

@Sophia L. You are correct I misspoke saying we spoke. We emailed and I believe you spoke with some of our Screeners.

We will have Screeners in the office all weekend so give us a buzz if you have any other questions. If not have a good rest of your weekend.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here