Requirement to add landlord to insurance?

2 Replies

Here’s one I’m asking as a renter, though it’ll also be good to understand once we have rental properties:

My annual lease renewal is coming up, and I’m now required to have $100k of renter’s insurance and to put the landlord on the policy.

I have renter’s insurance for significantly less than that because I don’t have $100k of assets in the apt.

But I’m really puzzled about having to add the landlord to the policy. What’s the purpose here? How likely are they to balk if I refuse? Is there any law around this (I’m in California)?

I love my place but now have to evaluate whether I want to live with this requirement.

One possible reason a landlord would do this is you can get a policy, provide proof of insurance to the landlord, then cancel the policy.  If the landlord is named on the policy, then the landlord is also notified if you cancel the policy (which would put you in violation of your lease).

I would talk to an insurer about the amount of the policy - renter's insurance can also cover damages caused by the renter (you) and as well as the contents of the rental unit.  Sounds to me like the landlord has had a bad experience with tenants trashing houses and wants to cover himself/herself in case of losses.

Many landlords require renters insurance, and that they either be added to the policy or be additional interest, for the purposes of being notified when it is canceled.  Although usually for less than $100,000 worth of stuff. And for liablity which I believe may start at 1M.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.