How to deal with inherited tenants

4 Replies

I recently bought a duplex with inherited tenant, the phone numbers on the leases I received were fake. So I went to their door and knocked and I introduced myself and told them I was their new landlord. They both said they would pay me tommorow and I set a time to come get the rent at that time and one got arrested and the other said she would have it tommorow. How do people deal with someone that says they will have it tommorow then doesn't have it?

Review your lease....then become very familiar with the tenant/landlord laws for your state.

From day 1 I would make it 1000% clear, no rent before the "deadline" (3 or 7 days, depends on your state), then serve them notice to vacate....no partial payments...no "ill get it to you on Tuesday" BS..... ne rent, serve notice and stick to it..... depending on the lease you inherited....and I hope you reviewed it before you closed on the property..... you may be better to evict them and start fresh....

Ned Jackson

I almost inherite tenants from my recent deal, but I cancel the deal half way. I request to see the tenant during the home inspection, also request all the bills, statements, lease and financial documents from the seller as soon as we opened the escrow. that way I can get out of it if the tenants are not the ones you are looking for.we should talk to the tenants before you close the escrow, that is part of the due-dilligence to inherited tenants. If you don't know how to handle the tenants tjen hire a professional property management company to vacate them.

Originally posted by @Laramie Hiebner :

I recently bought a duplex with inherited tenant, the phone numbers on the leases I received were fake. So I went to their door and knocked and I introduced myself and told them I was their new landlord. They both said they would pay me tommorow and I set a time to come get the rent at that time and one got arrested and the other said she would have it tommorow. How do people deal with someone that says they will have it tommorow then doesn't have it?

You serve a pay or quit the day after rent is due. You inforce late fees when they are due. Never pick up rent, tenants are responsible to insure landlord receives rent on time.

Follow through on evictions and have all tenants on M2M leases.

I agree with the other responses. If they don;t have it "tomorrow" send what ever notices you are required by your state law and start the process to evict ASAP. 

Even if they come up with it I would still look into ending the leases in any event (is there a clause about ending if the building is sold? Have they leases expired and now they are month to month) If you are stuck and have to wait out the lease, spend the time learning the local landlord tenant laws or looking for an attorney to help you. Make sure you end it properly.

You may be able to end the tenancy and say if they want to stay they need to fill out an application and pass whatever kind of check you would do for any new tenant.

Hopefully you got at least a new phone number. If they come up with it, maybe you can try to get them to fill out a new application so you have updated info as to who is actually living there as well so if you do have to evict later.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.