Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Heather St Mars
  • Hamilton, Ontario
Votes |
Photos taken of damages I did NOT DO,sent a bill what can i do?

Heather St Mars
  • Hamilton, Ontario
Posted Nov 10 2017, 06:56

After moving out, I knew I was responsible for some damages my teenaged daughter had done,and at the time I called the police when the damages occurred AND also let the landlord know that they had happened and I would be responsible for the cost to repair,I even hired a company to do the repairs just after I had moved but they let me down by taking a bigger paying job.So I informed the landlord to hire tradesmen to do the repairs.Then I begand getting bills for damages that I was resonsible AND DAMAGES THAT HAD NOT HAPPENED WHEN WE LIVED THERE, but he has taken photos of these damages.Now I must assume he himself did these damages I would guess in order to have me upgrade/renovate parts of the home that he does not want to pay for, yet wants to improve.How can I prove those damages were never there when we lived there, and that despite he has photos, they do not reflect anything that occurred during my tenancy.Also I moved back in april, and have made all payments ,yet he continues to send me bills.How long after I have left can he continue to send me bills?Indefinately?The only "proof" I have regarding the damages is what the movers might recall, and would they even be willing to get involved in someone elses situation which is really just a pain in THEIR butt and not their problem.I was very ashamed and embarrassed to have left the landlord ANY damages, and was HAPPY to pay, as I do not want landlords to think that everyone who damages their property does not feel they should be held accountable.I absolutely am accountable, and am so sorry that this even happened, but now it's like I'm being taken advantage of, and I don't know why ANYONE OR JUDGE would beleive me, that yes my daughter DID do some damages BUT NOT others, it will just look like I am trying not to pay all that I should.

Loading replies...