Bartender as tenant?

15 Replies

Anyone ever have a bartender as a tenant? If so, how were they as far as being a good tenant was concerned? They cause any issues for other tenants, for example coming home late, etc? Thanks!

As long as it is documented I have no issues. Have you or anyone else ever rented to a bartender or somone in the industry? Curious how it went.

I heard that they make over $100k per year.

I'd grab a beer on a Saturday night at their bar and see how busy they are.

Bartender may get in late , but a truck driver may get up early . A nurse may work different shifts , as would a fireman or a cop . The bartenders I knew were tired after work so they came home and slept .  Someones job is usually a non issue

@MatthewPaul you make a really great point! 

Originally posted by @Jonathan Roper :

I'd grab a beer on a Saturday night at their bar and see how busy they are.

I would grab more than one .

Are you all saying to stop by and see how busy they are in an effort to see if they are making a lot of money in tips? Or if they are drinking? Or? Not sure what this serves.

Lol, sorry can't help it. Once I had one bartender calling me for studio rental, so I ask : how many people is going to live here? He say: well mostly one but depends if I got lucky you know might be two or three.

I am like ????? ....

I told him I have to call him back because I have to walk down to the subway station.

But blocked his number because I only wanted to rent to one person. Not two or three random people .

Haha.

Bartenders usually aren't too bad of people because they deal w/ drunks all the time. Bartenders will see a wide range of people and not are all that pleasant....  The income will likely be much higher than reported, plenty don't enter their cash tips "correctly". If they've been at the same bar for a while and haven't bounced from job to job... they're likely going to be a decent tennant. If they've gone bar to bar... they probably party a lot.

@Benjamin E. I mention to check out the bar simply to make sure the bar looks stable and busy, plus I like a cold beer every now and again. Blanketing the type of tenant experience other landlords have had to your prospect is stereotyping. Just make sure he has money. If you are curious about how he keeps his home, perhaps pick up his rental application at his current residence and see what you see, check out his car. Good luck.

Originally posted by @Benjamin E. :

Anyone ever have a bartender as a tenant? If so, how were they as far as being a good tenant was concerned? They cause any issues for other tenants, for example coming home late, etc? Thanks!

Best tenant ever - but mine is married, so no random girls.

Double his/her proof of income - that will be the correct income. Never been late on Rent - Ever for two years so far

People come and leave the houses in different time, this shouldn't be a problem at all. 

Never had any complains from neighbors or anyone for that matter: just a great tenant

Id go for  the local frumpy librarian be4 id take a bartender!

Former bartender and server here! I️ worked in service for several years and through college...can’t really make a judgement of the type of tenant they will be, based on their profession. Some could be irresponsible and be terrible tenants, while others might end up being completely responsible and great tenants! Sometimes, looking at the type of establishment they serve at, plus the length of time they’ve served there, can be a helpful indicator...but it’s only an indicator :)

One potentially helpful rule of thumb: those in the industry definitely make more than their stated earnings, as it is rare to claim 100% of cash tips.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Jody Newman :

Id go for  the local frumpy librarian be4 id take a bartender!

If all things equal, maybe.  But what if librarian is transient, doesn't meet income requirements, has bad eviction, credit or background check while b-tender is married with kids and actually manages the bar but b-tends because they like it or does nightshift so spouse can do day shift or pursue school?  

What if librarian is male with no tenant history because he lived with parent for 35 years while b-tender is female college student?

Just a reminder - don't assume. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.