Air Filter Replacement

6 Replies

I'm renting out a condo and a prospective tenant asked me if I would supply the air filters for the unit's HVAC system.  I hadn't thought about that before and it sounds like a reasonable request since I'm expecting the tenants to replace the filter but i thought I would ask folks here for their take.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I supply and thank them to change the filter but most of them don’t change! 

I always supply a box of a dozen filters when a tenant moves in.  I then show them how and when to change the filters and to let me know when they need a new supply and put a new one in the return to show them how this is done.  I stress that regularly changing these will help greatly with heating and cooling costs.

More often than not there's still 11 in the box when they move out.

For many tenants the only way to make certain these will be changed out regularly is if I go over and do this myself.

Gail

I learn from experience most tenants forget to replace filters.
I now have my handyman replace filters, it’s just easier. I give my handyman so much work that I don’t even get charged for small items like that I just pay for the filters themselves. While he’s there he gets to inspect property and gives me feedback.

Congratulations!  You found a tenant that actually knows the filter should be changed and is willing to change it themselves.

Yes, I would buy the filters for them and right it off on my taxes as a maintenance expense.  You can get them in bulk at any big box home improvement store.

Never rely on tenants to maintain your investment. Do it yourself.

You can give tenants a stack of 200 filters & send them a reminder & they STILL won't change them. 

Either do it yourself (my tactic) or just assume it won't get done.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.