Quick hacking question

6 Replies

When house hacking, is it advisable to put room mates on a lease? 

Thank you everyone!

Yes, if you don't own the home, especially if unauthorized applicants are forbidden in your lease agreement, and if you own the home you would want them on a lease so that you had an enforceable contract.

I am currently house hacking and don't have leases for my two roommates but they are my friends. If you are not as familiar with them and unsure of how it will go, you could craft a 6 month lease to provide some flexibility for yourself!

Thank you folks! I have to admit, it’s tempting to be able to toss someone out if necessary!

Originally posted by @Ben Brenner :

Thank you folks! I have to admit, it’s tempting to be able to toss someone out if necessary!

You should have a lease with anyone who lives in a property that you own. It protect you more than you think. Just because you don't have a lease does not mean you have the right to kick them out whenever you want- quite the contrary- there is likely an implied right for them to live there and you have no lease violations to back up your case. 

Put everyone on a lease that covers whatever behaviors you might be concerned about and then you can legally evict them when they violate the lease. 

Also- I am not a lawyer, you should consult with an attorney in your state. 

Good luck!

Corby Goade, Real Estate Agent
208-297-3010

everyone gets put on a month to month lease. you are only limiting yourself if they don't sign a lease, because a lease lays out the ground rules for the house. this is especially important when living with someone. do you want them coming over with guests at 2am? if not limit guest numbers and hours in your lease. if it is not on paper, the rule does not exist in my opinion.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.