Moving but need advice

3 Replies

I've been renting a house for awhile.. years actually.. and it has every problem you can think of.. mostly rats and bugs because theres holes and cracks in the doors and places in carpet where mice or rats been getting in and out. then guy raised my rent so i could get pest control but only does it like every 10 months. just say i found something better but the real question is this if i give my landlord a 30 day notice (im not on a lease) but the place im trying to move to might not actually be ready for maybe a week or two after the 30 day notice so in that time ill be homeless if i decided to move out after the 30 days.. I mean can the landlord really kick me out if im not a lease even if i gave him that 30 days? i might need to stay an extra week and im sure hes gonna want me out to get the place ready for his next victim lol. 

Yes, or he could charge you a very high hold over rent. Your wisest course of action is to see if you could have the keys to your new place a couple of days early (after you have paid 1st months rent and security deposit) to allow you time to move. if that fails, arrange to stay with a friend for a couple of days with your belongings in a YouHaul.

@John Singleton Give him 30 days notice and when the 30 days is up say you need another week. And even offer to pay for a week.

If they say that's unacceptable, they still probably won't be able to evict you that quickly. Most states have verbal lease laws that they would still have to adhere to which are usually very lenient and tenant favorable. So worst case scenario, they'd take it out of security deposit but it sounds like you didn't have one.

I have a Security deposit which i know i won't get back because of the how the landlord is.. he pretty much let rats and bugs into the home they ate thru the carpet and everything and did nothing about it. i rather just give him the 30 days notice and stay the extra week or two and him keep the deposit which is the same as the rent. i mean i know he wont evict me because it wont give him enough time. i just didnt know the law and what he could do except keep my deposit if thats all then thats fine.. i mean i have no lease or nothing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here