Full time maintenance employee

6 Replies

I am wondering at what point ( or amount of properties) do you hire full time maintence people? We have had significant growth over the past two years and are currently making all the calls and setting up contractors to come fix problems at our rentals. At what point do we just hire an employee ( handy man) to handle all of this! Thanks 

@Sai T. thanks. I am wondering more from the financial side. Have you hired a full time mainentence person?  What would one expect in regards to compensation? Thanks 

@John Gavin

It depends on income and number of properties. How many calls/day or week and type of calls. If you really want to hire then hire part time learn and see how it goes.

@John Gavin   Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

There are many BP forums for wide variety of subjects. You posted in the Renter's Discussion forum, which isn't the best fit. Many people erroneously post in the Renter's Discussion forum.

Renter's Discussion: "This is the forum for renters who are looking for advice in dealing with their landlord. Ask questions about dealing with landlords, leases, tenant rights and other important issues."

Under the Community Tab you will find Forum Categories and you can check them out to find the best forum for your questions.

If you re-post in a different forum, you may have better luck.

@John Gavin Not the best forum for the question but I'll throw in here anyways.

The answer will depend on how many average hours of work/maintenance you have that you're currently paying a third party to do at your properties. If you're consistently somewhere around 35-40 hours of contractor labor, or nearing that, then it's time to consider hiring if you can get the same quality work for roughly the same or less. (I'm sticking to a a rough full-time hours estimate for this post but you CAN hire a part-time worker too, of course, as your work increases and the position becomes full-time)

Keep in mind that you're providing someone employment and an income that they'll rely on. If you just had a really busy month and then the work drops off, you're then looking at terminating someone's employment or at least decreasing their hours. Personally I find that stressful; I want to make sure I have enough work for the people I employ because, obviously, people rely on their jobs to support themselves, so don't take that lightly. I would take a 2 or 3 quarter view of your average maintenance and see what projections you come up with to be sure the job you'd be hiring for is actually stable on your first go at this. Be sure to include not just fixing leaking sinks and the run of the mill maintenance items but also make-ready work and other odds and ends, like regular seasonal items (checking furnaces, A/Cs, lawncare, etc). Also consider how much time you'd be saving yourself! Once you get your systems set up and have a good worker your life should also be simpler. Employees should do work, not create it!

Peter MacKercher, Real Estate Agent in MO (#2010004223)
(314) 210-4414

Hi Gavin, I think the question becomes how much time do you inevitably spend on maintenance and what part is it? Is it coordinating budget approvals with owners? Finding vendors? Is it the scheduling and follow up? There are so many pieces of the maintenance puzzle that can affect its efficiency.

If you're not opposed to outsourcing, companies like mine offer lower cost alternatives to hiring a full-time employee and allow the cost of managing the maintenance to scale equivalently to your growth. We help solve the issue of finding a contractor, and tracking a work order through completion but if your problems like outside that you may look to hire internally

If you're looking for someone in the office to handle maintenance 9-5 you better make sure there is a 9-5 amount of work or else they start becoming jack of all trade employees which you inevitably will need to hire another coordinator down the line because their responsibilities will become muddled into the rest of the work flow.

(626) 427-7477

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.