Votes
Savannah Smith
  • Largo, FL
Votes |
Questions from first time renter.

Savannah Smith
  • Largo, FL
Posted Dec 21 2017, 02:57

Hi. I'm 19 years old and just looking to rent my first place and I have a couple questions I'd like to sort out. I just want to make sure I have all the right information. I have found a roommate who is a bit older than me (25) and willing to take on a little more of the rent/utilities. As far as I know, she has good rental history and a good credit score and a full time job. She picked the apartments, which are very nice, and has already went through checking availability.

I, on the other hand, will be renting for the first time. So no rental history and I don't have any credit. I'm hoping that because I'm moving in with a roommate who has all the things I'm lacking they'll be more inclined to let me in with maybe a higher security deposit. I can provide proof of income. I worked my last job for four years and I was lucky enough to be hired at a great company that pays well and provides stable work about a month ago. 

I'm mostly wanting to get people's thoughts on this. Since this is a first for me I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Will it be likely or unlikely for them to approve me? Will having someone like that who will cosign the lease with me help? What should I expect and are there any tips you can provide me to make this process easier or make it a little more likely this will work out? Would it be a good idea to give them a call and ask them over the phone about my specific situation?

Loading replies...