I just purchased my first multi unit a few months ago. This week one of my tenants texted me saying they he injured himself on steps due to one of the step giving way. I haven't seen him yet. He claims he called the ambulance and was in the hospital for a week. I sent someone to check on him but they couldn't get in. He claims that he can't move to get to the door. I don't really believe him but I want to make sure I handle this situation properly. If anyone can give me some advice on this situation I would greatly appreciate it.
If he went to the hospital they probably took a blood test for alcohol or drugs. Have you seen the step to see if it was broken? Have you seen a police report? Is he making a claim against your insurance?
1) Call your insurance company and tell them a tenant reported an injury. Ask insurance company (who will be representing you if tenant sues) if they have a contact for the tenant and/or if you should discuss the matter at all.
2) In my city you can look up police reports by address, if that is available put in the address and see if there was a report.
3) Let your insurance company deal with it.
So what does the step look like???
Why would there be a police report? Although, check to see if he was involved in any Other police report that day.
Call your insurance co.
These rare occasions show the value of having assets held in limited liability entities.
Contacting your insurance carrier is a great first step. I imagine they will want you to help provide them with information so they can do their job and assess the viability of any claims.
Make sure to document everything, his first notification to you of the incident, picture of the steps, and picture LOS you took or any inspections you had performed on the property before closing etc... make sure that you have contacted your insurance company immediately, they will assign someone to your file and take care of everything from this point. Don’t stress over it, let them handle it
Thanks everyone for the help. I will let the insurance company held everything.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing