Votes
Justin Johnson
  • Belvidere, IL
Votes |
Eviction Process for dummies

Justin Johnson
  • Belvidere, IL
Posted Dec 27 2017, 08:08
Can someone hold my hand and walk me through the eviction process step by step? My understanding is that it is not too difficult (although I have read the nightmare stories) and can be done without a lawyer. Please give a step by step. Here is what I think I know... 1. Serve 5 day eviction notice. Proper forms and wording necessary. Must be delivered in accordance with local laws. Also have a second copy of these documents signed and notarized? Where do I find my local county laws? 2. File complaint with county. Do I need any documentation that I served a 5 day notice for this step? Is there a cost to file a complaint? 3. Sheriff serves the tenants with a court date. Will this be automatic after certain time frame following the county complaint is filed? Or do I need to contact the court to set up a date after a certain time frame? 4. Day in Court. I understand that if tenant shows up that automatically qualifies them for a grace period for another court date? Or at least gives them several days/weeks to move out? Or will a judgement be made on this day? Any additional tips and advice you can give is helpful. Thank you!

Loading replies...