How to remove a disabled tenant?

5 Replies

Hey all,

I am acquiring a duplex and hoping to house hack. It's my first property, and I'm just learning the ropes. With that, I've never elected to not a renew a lease, and to that end, of a disabled individual. Moreover, this individual has asked for extra time (6 months) to look for a new place, though I'm acquiring this property mid Jan and the lease end 03/31. A few questions I have are:

1. I have full intention of house hacking, but need some advice on how to gracefully refuse to renew the lease?
  2. Should I help this person find a new rental? I feel that it's the right thing to do knowing that it might be challenging?
  3. Is 2.5 months enough time for a person with this handicap to find a rental?

Thanks!

Chirag

Check the terms of your loan.  There may be a clause requiring you to occupy buy a set time.  Be sure to cover your self and give proper notice.   Go ahead and file for eviction with enough time to go through the full eviction process in time.   file regardless as to rather they are being comparative or not.   It is better to be little rude and safe than to be nice and in breach of contract. 

Try cash for keys.  Even a small amount like $200 can work.  Just don't forget to fill for an eviction regardless!

Give the notice to non renew now and nothing more. Do not get involved with his relocation and be prepared to evict if he does not move out at the end of the lease.

This is a very common situation with the popularity of house hacking. Keep it impersonal.  

@Wilson Lee I didn't see where @Chirag Shah said the tenant was in default.  If so, what would your reason be to file for an eviction?  

Originally posted by @Bob B. :

@Wilson Lee I didn't see where @Chirag Shah said the tenant was in default.  If so, what would your reason be to file for an eviction?  

Correct they are not currently in default.  I should have clarified.  He should give notice to vacate as shortly as the lease will allow for.  Then file if they hold over.  He can show leeway in the actual time he allows them to stay.  But he should preserve his ability to evict if there is any trouble.  He may have obligations under his mortgage.  We would all be sad if his loan was called due.

Thanks for all the replies! Will definitely consider them moving forward.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here