Background and Credit Checks

5 Replies

Which background and credit check site does everyone recommend?  Thanks, Tracy and Amy Thompson

Yes, we have used and been happy with Cozy.  However, our current applicant is 80 years old and does not have a computer let alone an e-mail address as is required.  Additionally, he does not have any family or friends with a computer or e-mail.  We just checked into SmartMove and it also requires him to have an e-mail address.  Any other options?  Thank you!

I have used several websites during the past 6 years. My advice, do not use websites that require the prospective tenant to login and do something. Smartmove is one to avoid. These days i like houserie. Have the tenant complete your rental application form( pdf or hard copy), and their signature providing landlord to use their info for background check. Then go into houserie and enter info , pay the thirty bucks and you have a comprehensive report in minutes.

@Sal M. , why do you not like the sites that the tenants log in and complete?

Here is a list of reasons
1) they dont receive the email, either it goes to spam folder or email was not sent by website
2) tenant receives email, but has trouble logging in
3) tenant does not check email daily or does not have an email ID
4) I prefer having all of the tenant info on the application form for my file, in case I need to lookup something after a few months

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.