Rental Property Flooring

5 Replies

Hi BP community! I am a first time rental property owner, living in one side of a duplex and renting the other. I’m planning to update my half while living there and moving out once the updates are made. The project I’m working on now is flooring. The property has avg. rent of $600-700/mo. And I’m hoping for some suggestions on what type of wood flooring to install. I don’t want to do hardwood as it is too expensive. Basically, I’m looking for suggestions on an affordable but still durable option of flooring for rental properties. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks BP!

From my understanding I would go with luxury vinyl plank. I have this in at least one of my rentals and it lasts longer compared to other types of flooring. Obviously minimize carpet as much as possible.

Of my three rentals I think only one has carpet In the bedrooms and the others have zero carpet

I've always just got laminate from Home Depot.

@Corey Laboon

We only do wood looking ceramic tile throughout  in our rentals.. looks amazing, waterproof,  very durable and easy to clean!    

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

From my understanding I would go with luxury vinyl plank. I have this in at least one of my rentals and it lasts longer compared to other types of flooring. Obviously minimize carpet as much as possible.

Of my three rentals I think only one has carpet In the bedrooms and the others have zero carpet

Agreed. More durable than laminate, waterproof and much cheaper and warmer than tile. 

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I will go with the Vinyl Plank as that was kind of my top choice before making this post as well. I hadn't looked into the Ceramic Wood Tile but will definitely be checking out that option as well! 

Thanks again everyone!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.