Pest control question

6 Replies

We recently purchased a triplex (California). The front tenants keeps her apartment very clean the middle tenant complained about mice and the back apartment is empty. The middle tenant has a chicken and we think that is the problem for the move. We are getting a pest control company to go. My question is can any tenant deny the pest control service? If they deny their apartment to sprayed can a evict them?

We employ pest control services from time to time, and these companies tell us it's best to treat the entire building.

Occasionally a tenant will inform us they are sensitive to pesticides and opted out. We have honored those requests, and in one case, where the clean tenant opted out, the messy tenants unit got sprayed, the pest problem didn't spread to the clean unit. We finally evicted the messy tenant and the roach infestation was so bad we had to replace the carpets.

I often doubted the complaints of some sensitive tenants till we treated a unit, my wife went in the next day to clean up the vacant unit a day later, and got pesticide poisoning. We had to pay a remediation company to clean out the pesticide. She was in the hospital a few days and had bouts of pain a year following.

So I'll be careful to forcing tenants to accept pest services, because we considered suing the pesticide company and if we were tenants suing the landlord. My wife did the research and found the pesticide used is banned in NY State.

In the past, tenants have cited children and elderly parents as reasons for begging off citing fears of health related issues. Having gone through it, I believe the issues are real and I'll work with the tenants.

@Anabel Fuentez Where there are chickens there are rats. It's almost guaranteed. Give one of your tenants free pet rent so that they can have a cat.

We inherited the tenants and the middle tenant children have a chicken as a pet. So yes a chicken. Thank you for the information. My worry is my family and I will be moving into the empty unit and we will be sharing a wall with the tenant who hears mice in the walls and has the chicken. What can we do to make sure we don’t get the mice?

Oh and the front tenant has a cat maybe that’s why she dose not have mice.

Chicken feed brings rodents. Pain and simple. I like the cat idea as long as the chicken is penned up.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.