Do I need to tell the city I’m going to rent a house?

5 Replies

What, if anything, do I need to tell the city of Lincoln Park Michigan about the possibility of renting my house?

I think 🤔 you need to ask this question to city!

It depends on the city and if they require registrations for rentals. If they do not have any registration or license requirements then the main thing is make sure you don’t have any deductions like for a primary residence.

If you lived in the house and now rent it the home owner deductions may need to be changed.

You'll need to identify the property as a rental--at the very least--for property tax purposes.  If you're using a title company, that will likely be handled for you.  Every city is different regarding rental inspections.  Here's Lincoln Parks rental regulations:  http://www.lincolnpark.govoffice.com/vertical/site...

@Clay Powell That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for this valuable information!

I had to pay $125 to Warren MI for a lanlord license.  But good thing is that it comes with an inspection.  You can use the information to repair anything that comes up.  Also if you lag on contacting them you could get fined $1000 and possibly have to show up for court.  I have to say the ladies at Warren City rental inspection are fabulous to work with.  Very nice and helpful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here