Who is responsible for water bills

9 Replies

I bought a duplex last December and Today I got a surprise mail in my mailbox. One of the tenant in a duplex send me a water bill for $1000. The water bill is in his name however last month there was a water leak and the water company is charging him for the usage fee. I send my contractor and fixed the water leak as soon as i came to know about it. Now the question is, who is responsible in this situation and what are the next steps. Water line is in name of tenant and he pays bills every month.

Id say you are responsible. It's your job to make sure the pipe isnt leaking

In akron, the water department will give you a credit for leaks if you send notarized proof of us fixed
Of us = it is. Geez, can't edit from tablet.

You should be responsible for it. The water line isn’t in someone’s name but the usage is in someone’s name. I’m your case it’s in the tenants name. But the I’m guessing copper water line is your responsibility.

Where was the leak?  You would think it would be a heck of a leak to build up a $1,000 bill.  As long as they didn't do something to cause the leak, I would say you are on the hook as well

I would say that it depends on the situation.  Where was the water leak? Was it noticeable? How long was it leaking?  If it was somewhere that they knew it was leaking and chose not to notify you until after they received the bill, I would consider that negligence on their part.  For it to rack up $1000 I would think that it either was happening for a significant amount of time or was a significant leak.  In that case, I would probably try to negotiate with the water company to lower the bill, as well as the tenant to try to recoup as much of the costs as possible.  If it was something that they didn't notice until they received the bill and went searching and found the leak, then I would say that it is your responsibility.  I know its not a super direct answer and I'm not a lawyer so I couldn't tell you for sure but that would be my opinion on it

@Moncy Samuel - there should be some legal lingo in your lease agreement that covers this. In mine, it stats the tenant is responsible. But just because the lease states it, doesn't mean the tenant will still comply. Having dealt with this with a long-term tenant in one of my duplexes, I agreed to split the cost with the tenant to avoid turnover cost and vacancy. 

Originally posted by @Moncy Samuel :
I bought a duplex last December and Today I got a surprise mail in my mailbox.

One of the tenant in a duplex send me a water bill for $1000. The water bill is in his name however last month there was a water leak and the water company is charging him for the usage fee. I send my contractor and fixed the water leak as soon as i came to know about it. Now the question is, who is responsible in this situation and what are the next steps. Water line is in name of tenant and he pays bills every month.

Was the leak in the ground?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here