Potential Renter wants to run a business at property

8 Replies

Hey Bp! Just put my first property up for rent on Craigslist in Jacksonville and within 1 hour had a call from an interested party who wants to run a daycare from the house. She has no problem paying the security deposit and passing a background check (I’ll check up on these). 

Are there any legal ramifications for running a business of that sort from a single family home? 

My only initial concern is the amount of people coming and going/upsetting neighbors potentially with babies crying.

Should I be worried about anything else? I’m brand new to being a landlord! 

My thoughts: make sure its OK with zoning/HOA, ask your insurance company about liability and any sort of requirements for insurance the tenant would have to have. Also consider increased wear and tear, eg on plumbing with all the extra laundry/washing/little kid bladders etc. Lead paint or any paint chips etc also.

Thanks @Nicky Reader ! I'll definitely check with the insurance provider. There is no HOA, but I looked into zoning.

The property is zoned RLD (residential low density). One of the permitted uses in Jacksonville for RLD districts is family day care homes meeting the performance standards & development criteria set forth in Part 4. Part 4 goes on to say day care centers with between 1-14 people must meet the minimum lot req'ts (no extra req't here). Center must have adequate off street parking. Limited to operating between 6am-7pm.

It does say "Where a center is contiguous to a residentially-zoned property, a six-foot visual barrier, not less than 95 percent opaque, shall be provided along the property line, excluding any required front yards." 

^Does this mean the backyard must be fenced in with a 95% opaque fence?

Originally posted by @Thea Linkfield :

Thanks @Nicky Reader ! I'll definitely check with the insurance provider. There is no HOA, but I looked into zoning.

The property is zoned RLD (residential low density). One of the permitted uses in Jacksonville for RLD districts is family day care homes meeting the performance standards & development criteria set forth in Part 4. Part 4 goes on to say day care centers with between 1-14 people must meet the minimum lot req'ts (no extra req't here). Center must have adequate off street parking. Limited to operating between 6am-7pm.

It does say "Where a center is contiguous to a residentially-zoned property, a six-foot visual barrier, not less than 95 percent opaque, shall be provided along the property line, excluding any required front yards." 

^Does this mean the backyard must be fenced in with a 95% opaque fence?

Sounds like it.. I wondered why a lot of the local commercial daycares had that weird green plastic "filler" in their chain link fences.  

So you'd have to also account for the fencing rules and costs.. 

I'd be very careful around renting for use as a daycare center.  You are likely to be entering into a world of liability issues you never anticipated.  

I think I would look for someone else or raise the rent to account for liability and wear and tear. 

Liability, neighbour issues as well as extensive ware and tear on the property will be through the roof. Licencing is also a major concern.

My leases all state that no businesses may be operated on any of my residential properties. It is simply not worth the headaches.

keep looking.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We have received many other interested renters so crossing the daycare off the list was a no-brainer.

I would not rule out all businesses.  In Oregon a business licence must list a physical address even if there is no office there and no clients come there. You can not use a PO Box for a locations.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here