Do I Smell Bad? What's Going On?

10 Replies

I am looking to add heat to my attic and I have so far had 3 companies come out to look at the project and provide me with a quote.

1 of them gave me an answer on the spot but the other 2 have not reached back out to me and it's been long enough for me to think they won't be reaching out at all.

Is this common? I would think they want my money, the walk-throughs went fine and they seemed interested at the time...I always like getting a second number so I don't want to jump right for the only one who gave me answer.

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

the absolute norm when dealing with contractors

most won't bother to even get you a bid

most of the rest will bid and agree to work, then no-show

of those, half will show up late or half drunk and do shoddy work

the ones that do really good work and are professional are holding out for larger jobs

When you find a great contractor, just go ahead and kidnap him, Hold himin a basement until Stockholm syndrome sets in and he is happy to work on your projects. Let him do the work, then stuff him back in the basement.

this is the only way to keep good contractors around.

I really don't get why they would take time out of their days to drive up and take a look and then not even respond with a quote afterwards. Seems like wasted time on both ends but I guess that is the business!

Anyways, thanks for the input @Alexander Felice !

I would disclose that I’m getting 2-3 bids but I’m not interested in the lowest bid. I’m interested in their perspective on what is needed to properly repair the situation.

I inquire on their availability, reliability, references and I let them know I want to be treated fairly and that the work will be assigned on Friday.

I’ve had this same issue with other type of service businesses. Called 4 tree companies to come look at 3 different jobs. Two showed up, two didn’t. The two who gave estimates, I haven’t heard back from again when I told them I’d like to have it done.
Same thing with snow plowing. Call 3-4 companies, never get a call back. At least just call and let me know you don’t have the time/don’t want to do it. Not sure how these people stay in business.

I have been pretty fortunate thus far so I guess this is why I'm shocked when something like this happens. There are a million companies when you Google search but you still can't get something done. Crazy...

OMG, so common... this is my new normal lol. One of my biggest pet peeves is someone not getting back to me. I've been very surprised with the number of contractors I've had come out to the house for various projects and how much time I have to spend after the fact chasing them for a quote! So frustrating!

Totally normal....

Just remember.....ANYONE can be a "contractor"...... no real skill....no formal training......many are unlicensed etc etc etc. The industry is full of people that never even graduated HS.....are convicted felons....... file bankruptcy every couple of years.....have been divorced 4 times....... addiction issues......in other words flakey people that have no organization, structure, direction or drive in their lives.

Now that's not to say that they are ALL like that....there are some fantastic people out there....very smart, organized, professional and amazing at what they do......I've met some great people...... but unfortunately they are rare rather than common

Originally posted by @Ned J. :

Totally normal....

Just remember.....ANYONE can be a "contractor"...... no real skill....no formal training......many are unlicensed etc etc etc. The industry is full of people that never even graduated HS.....are convicted felons....... file bankruptcy every couple of years.....have been divorced 4 times....... addiction issues......in other words flakey people that have no organization, structure, direction or drive in their lives.

Now that's not to say that they are ALL like that....there are some fantastic people out there....very smart, organized, professional and amazing at what they do......I've met some great people...... but unfortunately they are rare rather than common

BUT not anyone can be a GOOD contractor . One who is licensed , insured , does quality work and delivers on time .  But this is also the contractor that is more expensive since he is a business not a side line 

@Steve DellaPelle ,

It happens.  If, while he was there with you, the contractor got the notion that you were shopping for bids, he may have decided he would be wasting his time and decided not to even bother preparing one.  And sometimes, they simply aren't very good businessmen.  They procrastinate and do it late, or get so far behind they assume you already got someone else to do it..  Or they move on to a job and another and figure they don't need your job at the time.

I had a surveyor tell me once he was semi-retired but would send his nephew out to do the job.  The nephew was a surveyor as well.  I never met either of them, having made contact and set up the job over the phone. On the day of the job, they showed up earlier than scheduled and I never met them.  The survey was delivered via mail and the stakes/marks were done at the property.  But I never received a bill.  After a couple of months, I called a few times because I was in a pickle at the time and I felt they helped me out by coming quickly and charging a low price.  The old man never answered my calls.  Sometimes, contractors do the job and don't reach back for the money.

It happens.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.