Burying cash in a property is not investing, it is buying cash flow. This is the worst thing a "investor" can do with their money. You are not a investor if all you are doing is hoarding cash. Equity is where cash goes to die.
I guess it would depend on your stock market skills, but assuming you know how to invest properly... I'd just weigh your expected returns in the market vs your mortgage interest rate.
I've actually been tapping the HELOC equity to re-invest into the market which is an aggressive play but if I can beat the interest rate (3.75%), I'll be turning a profit by doing so. My eventual plan once I have enough capital raised for another downpayment would be to get another place and would only paydown the mortgage if the lenders say my debt to income ratio is too high.
Your strategy should depend on your risk tolerance - everyone will have a different limit for the amount of risk to reward they are willing to take on.
@Rousner Ermonfils , if you think you can get a higher return in the stock exchange than your current mortgage interest rate AND/OR you would like to access your money at some point, then investing in the stock market may make sense. Good luck trying to tap into your property equity, if you need the cash for any reason. You’ll have to either sell it or refi your loan, which you you will need to qualify again.
Also, it depends on your investing strategy and where are you building your portfolio:
1. Still building your portfolio: I would not pay down principal. I will put the excess cash in a safe product (CD, Money Market account, etc.), so you don’t risk your funds and can access them when you find your next property.
2. Already reach you portfolio goals: I will consider paying down principal to reduce risk and not lose all I’ve worked for, in case there is a dramatic shift in market conditions. 3. Somewhere in between, where you would like to keep investing in RE, but it is not your priority: Maybe here putting the excess cash into the stock market makes sense.
At the end, all the depends on your situation and goals. Good luck!
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing