• Rental Property Investor
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Is it worth it to try to collect?

Mark Hughes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Aurora, CO
Posted Mar 13 2018, 22:30
A renter recently just up and disappeared on 3/1 without paying rent. Lease still had 3 months left @ $500/mo, and there was $3k worth of damages (broken window, 2 damaged doors, holes in walls, broken cabinet doors, marker/ink all over the walls from kids drawings, snuck a pet in against the rules/regulations and feces on carpet, blinds ripped up) plus typical cleaning and turnover fees.....only had $450 in security deposit which I of course held. She left and didn’t bother sticking around to turn in keys so I posted notices, etc. and after several days and 4 attempts to contact, finally removed all the junk, rekeyed, and fixing up and now have a new renter set to move in 3/15. I was able to do 1/2 the work myself so only paying actual out of pocket expenses of $1.6k (around $1k when you factor in security deposit)....would it be worth the hassle to try to hire a lawyer or collections agency to try to collect on the full amount (lease stipulates I could hold her accountable for full term of lease which would be another $1500 in loss rent, but then again I really will only be missing 1/2 month rent w new tenants going in 3/16). Plus I don’t think she has many assets to collect against. At this point I’m assuming I just chalk this one up as cost of doing business and cut my losses and move on to the next renter, but I also don’t want her to be able to just do this to the next landlord.....what are your thoughts?

Loading replies...