If she doesn’t move out you have three main options:
1. Do nothing: not a great option, particularly if she isn’t paying rent.
2. Forceful removal (evict): I’m hoping you have her on a lease. If so, on April 3rd (or 5th or 10th, or whatever it says in your lease) serve her with an eviction notice for non-payment and breaking lease rules (smoking inside).
3. Peaceful removal: offer her cash-for-keys.
Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and she moves out on March 31 and leaves the unit sparkling clean!
Post an update next week and let us know how it goes!
If she’s not out you need to move for an eviction
That's a pretty rough situation, but you should come to terms with the fact you'll probably need to evict her. It can be a nightmare if you let your emotions get involved, but a lot of folks on bp evict tenants regularly and it's a pretty straightforward process at the end of the day. Just find an attorney who's been doing it a while and let them handle the whole thing. Sure, it will still take time, money, and you'll have to deal with her drama for a month or two, but let the pros do what they do.
Doing evictions is just part of the price you pay as a real estate investor.
On the morning of the 31st a handful of guys showed up and helped her move all of her stuff out! She made a few unfriendly comments when she had the opportunity and left some junk behind, but it all went pretty well! Thanks for the tips! So glad I didn't have to resort to an eviction.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing