Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
Votes |
Where do I stand in my current lease?

Account Closed
Posted May 28 2018, 09:15

Hello,

I'm a tenant located in Seattle, WA and my current lease is coming to an end in a couple of days. I've lived here for a couple of years and my current roommate who is on the lease is moving out. I gave the landlord +30 day notice that my current roommate is moving out, but that I would like to continue to live here. I informed them that I do have someone who can take there spot on the lease. My landlord said that they would email me a screening application and once that was approved they would create a new lease.

About a week in a half later I finally get the screening application for the new roommate. We filled it out and turned in. Another week goes by and I don't hear anything so I reach out to the landlord asking if we could sign the new lease soon. They informed me that they would send in to me next week. Another week goes by and I didn't receive the new lease. So I reach out to my landlord again and at this time I haven't received a response.

At this point I would like to know where I currently stand with this current lease. On my lease it says that it goes on a "year to year basis until the Landlord or the Tenant terminates the tenancy". With that in mind I am wondering if my lease is still valid for renewing on a year to year basis after informing my landlord with a +30 day notice that my current roommate is moving out, but that I would like to continue to live here and have a roommate in mind. My current roommate and I are both on the lease. At this point I'm trying to get a new lease so that my new roommate can be on it.

Here are my questions

• Is my current lease still valid for renewing on a year to year basis after informing them that one of the tenants is moving out?
    • If not is it month to month at this point?
  • If a new lease isn't signed can the new roommate move in?

All of this is in emails and the intent seems to be there that a new lease is supposed to be signed for my new roommate and I. The issue though is it hasn't yet and I want to know where I stand once my lease ends in a couple of days.