• San Diego, CA
Votes |
Too Many Adults in on SFR House Hack?

Kevin Phu
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Aug 3 2018, 20:19

Hey BPers,

I have a 4BR 2BA SFR primary residence. I currently rent out two bedrooms, live in the master, and have the fourth unused. The two bedrooms and rented out to two male adults and they share the common bathroom. The bathroom is not big by any means but in my opinion it's not too small (unless you like to dance and party in there). Fits a toilet, single vanity sink, tub/shower, with standing room.

If I rent out the last unused bedroom, I will cut my out of pocket expenses down even more (which was my goal when buying this house to stop renting) and I would end up only paying for utilities and a few hundred bucks of the mortgage.

The reason I haven't rented it out yet though is that I'm concerned it'll force one of the tenants to want to move out due to having to share a bathroom with one more adult. If I was in the tenant's shoes, I wouldn't mind because I obviously wouldn't be in the bathroom with the other person at the same time.

I've kinda gotten the vibe from the tenants that they are happy with the current situation and probably wouldn't like a 3rd person but I haven't asked them flat out. I also feel like as the homeowner/landlord, I shouldn't have to ask them for their opinion but I should still consider it.

What kind of advice does the community have?

Loading replies...