2 Months Behind Rent (Evict)?

9 Replies

Good Afternoon BP Nation!

I just closed on a #HouseHack duplex a couple months back. I inherited some bad tenants to say the least.

Month 1: Paid in cash

Month 2: Paid on the 15th

Month 3: Did not pay.

Month 4: No signs of paying for September.

They are out at the end of the month. What course of action would ya'll take here?

Cheers,

Updated almost 3 years ago

Good Morning All, I have filed for an eviction at the court house and the two individuals will be served within 14 business days. The lease ends 9/30/2018 so hopefully they will just up and leave prior to actually having to take it to court. Thank you all for the responses.

Prepare to file and Pray for them to be out!. if they are no sign of moving out their stuff by 9/25. File for eviction and good luck!

if you haven’t posted a pay or quit notice yet, I would do it IMMEDIATELY! If they end up moving out at the end of the month, you’ve only lost 2 months rent. If they decide to stay, now you’re looking at even more lost income. You’re paying for them to stay there. Start the eviction process now. You should have 45 days ago.

collect what you can and let them go..... You can go to court collections but it will take time.

The last thing you do is get them to retaliate and destroy your place before leaving. Be business like.

Originally posted by @Mike McCarthy :
if you haven’t posted a pay or quit notice yet, I would do it IMMEDIATELY!

If they end up moving out at the end of the month, you’ve only lost 2 months rent.

If they decide to stay, now you’re looking at even more lost income. You’re paying for them to stay there.

Start the eviction process now. You should have 45 days ago.

Thank you for the advice!

Originally posted by @Sam Shueh :

collect what you can and let them go..... You can go to court collections but it will take time.

The last thing you do is get them to retaliate and destroy your place before leaving. Be business like.

Thank you for the advice! 

Originally posted by @Sebastian Kressley :

Good Afternoon BP Nation!

I just closed on a #HouseHack duplex a couple months back. I inherited some bad tenants to say the least.

Month 1: Paid in cash

Month 2: Paid on the 15th

Month 3: Did not pay.

Month 4: No signs of paying for September.

They are out at the end of the month. What course of action would ya'll take here?

Cheers,

Evict. In the future you need to set a date on which you evict everyone who hasn't paid. At my company rent is due on the 1st and we evict everyone on or around the 15th depending on business hours. No questions asked. Waiting only allows deadbeats to extend the amount of free housing they get from you. In most markets your best case scenario is getting them out 6 weeks from the time you file so that's why it pays to act quickly.

@James Wise Thank you very much for the advice. Now that I have a year under my belt in the business I have learned that the 15th will be the date that I file with the court house.

Originally posted by @Sebastian Kressley :

@James Wise Thank you very much for the advice. Now that I have a year under my belt in the business I have learned that the 15th will be the date that I file with the court house.

That's what I like to hear. Sometimes you've got to out savage the savages.