• Real Estate Professional
  • Newark, TX
Votes |
Tenant Moved out, 3 day notice served...furniture & trash left

Marcus Pickel
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Newark, TX
Posted Sep 11 2018, 11:15

Hey guys/gals! I've read several articles, but still not sure of my next step. I'm in Texas, I had a renter tell me on 9/3 that he wouldn't be able to pay rent until 9/8. I put a 3 day notice on the door and mailed a copy on 9/5. 

On 9/8, I texted him about rent and got no response. That afternoon, I went by the property and they had a Uhaul backed into the driveway. I went up and talked to the wife, and she told me they were moving out. This was the first time I heard anything about moving. She said they would be out that day or the next. On the evening of 9/9, I drove by the property and they were still loading stuff in the Uhaul. I texted the guy and asked what his plan was. He said he'd return keys to me on Monday 9/10. 

I get a text Monday afternoon that the keys were in the mailbox. When I went to the house that evening, it was still full of furniture and trash. 

My question is this still technically abandoned property, or is it just junk they left behind? The furniture that was left was really beat up and the house now has a bad roach problem. I read articles about cataloging everything and sending them a notice to claim it within a certain time frame. To me it's stuff he didn't want and not really abandoned? He's not answering any texts what he wants us to do with the stuff. I know I can throw the obvious trash out. Just wanted to see if you could provide a little guidance before I go to an attorney. 

I really want to get in there and clean and exterminate. 

Thank you in advance. 

Loading replies...