General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Neusa Lasles
Votes |
Realtor/Lawyer/Me; Who is liable for rent proration on signed HUD

Neusa Lasles
Posted Sep 12 2019, 15:47

Please I'm counting on a very straight answer, in order to analyze if I have a case, or if I am just transferring responsibilities to others...I really don't know where I am standing in this case.

Here what happens:
On the sale of my rental property, I have trusted my selling agent, signing a HUD without making any math at the closing date. My selling agent said once he gave the buyer a rental estoppel on his hands, he have "assumed" that buyer has also handled rental proration dates to the closing lawyer.

Lawyer said he was not informed on time and now that I have signed it is closing case..So no layer or my agent wants to take responsibility for it paying for their mistake if there was one... 

To my view my agent should never "assumed" anything, He had an obligation to make sure lawyer got that information. Also an obligation to verify if the numbers were correct on the HUD in order for me to sign it..Is that correct?

The lawyer and agent are assuring me the case is close once I have signed.. Please, very humble I ask for your input .

With great appeciation.

Neusa

Loading replies...