• Investor
  • Pittsburgh PA & Washington, DC
Votes |
Two Tenants Relationship has Imploded - Looking for Advice

Joe Heiles
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh PA & Washington, DC
Posted Oct 11 2019, 07:33

Hello all, first time posting, but I've been consuming content for a while.  I have a couple of duplexes with my brother in Pittsburgh and a house hack in Washington, DC. We self manage, and he does all onsite work/showing/meeting contractors, etc.  Happy to connect with everyone!

My question involves the tenants occupying one unit in one of the duplexes. It is a man and a woman, just the two of them.  Their friendship has imploded and both are constantly contacting me.  At first, it was simple stuff like I'm not sure if the other reached out to you, but this is the situation, followed by accusations that the other is mentally unstable.  I responded to only specifically questions regarding the lease and the early termination clause, set as two months' rent.  The woman tenant then accused the male tenant of destroying the property and sent pictures.  We sent an email giving 24 hours notice that we would be inspecting the property (covered in our lease) and my brother inspected it.  There were clearly fixes made to multiple areas, including a new interior door, but the fixes were nice and the door was a better door than the one we had.  The male tenant said that it was him, and he eventually said that he would like out of the lease.  The female tenant said she would like to stay and would like to find a new roommate.  So, all good, right?

Well, the female tenant is saying she needs a copy of the lease termination agreement that we drew up for the male so that she can have it to use for the cops if he ever comes on the property.  Before even thinking if that is something I should provide, there is the problem that the male is refusing to sign it.  This is now at a standstill in that the female has left the property and is staying with a friend saying it isn't safe to be there and constantly emailing us telling us we need to evict him, will she be getting money back because she can't stay in the property, etc.  The male has also moved out.  They paid October rent in full by the way, so if I literally never read an email, I wouldn't know anything was wrong.

Looking for advice here on this he said, she said with no actual proof of anything.  Do I need to act?  Wait until rent isn't paid in November?

Thanks,

Joe

Loading replies...