Votes
Kayla Marek
  • Waukesha WI
Votes |
Snow removal Wisconsin duplex

Kayla Marek
  • Waukesha WI
Posted Nov 9 2019, 13:19

My husband and I own a side by side duplex in the suburbs of Wisconsin. We signed new tenants to a lease in July and honestly they've been nothing but trouble since then. They break the blinds then want us to pay for repair. They broke the showerhead off out of the wall, $250 to replace (it was brand new). They call weekly and never leave a voicemail or text message. They brought their own washer and dryer and are now demanding we provide one. Now that we have snowfall, they are complaining about the shoveling they agreed to....

The lease states that they are responsible for all snow removal and weekly lawn mowing. We gave them a discount off of the rent for doing these services. The lease does not state how the snow is to be removed (shovel, snowblower, etc) and we told them it was up to them. They asked us if we would provide a snowblower and we said we would consider it. Then I read about the liability due to injury etc and we informed them that we would not be providing one. 

Now the female tenant is emailing me stating we need to provide a snowblower or plow service because the driveway is too big to do by hand. When I told her we would consider a plow for snowfall >5 inches, she was unhappy with this amount and states she wants her rent increased $100/month and be free of these responsibilities. 

Honestly, with snowfall here in Wisconsin, it will cost me much more for snow removal than $100/month. I don't want there to be bad blood so early in the lease but I don't know where to go from here. Do I increase rent $150/month or just tell her we can revisit the terms of the lease next year if she chooses to resign?

Loading replies...