Having landlord/tenant issues

14 Replies

So we live in a mobile home park that hurricane Micheal went through. After the hurricane nothing had been fixed in our home, most of them actually. We had raw sewage under our house for months(she had another tenant “fix” it) he somewhat did but we still can’t even use our toilet without it flooding the bathroom, when you take a shower water pours outside. There’s a leak in the air vent, so I put a bucket there when it rains. There is mold covered in our guest bathroom which is beside my babies room. You can see the condensation coming from the ceiling. My son has been in this house since he was born 8 months ago and has had bad allergies since, he’s always congested. Hardly any of our outlets work in the entire house. This condition has going on for months. We decided to not continue with rent, and move out. We’re still working on the place we’re moving to and shouldn’t be too much longer, it’s been 2 months since we paid rent. She shows up whenever she wants to tell me to get out, she’s posted 3 day notices twice. She has citations against this park, could that cause her to not be able to get an eviction notice? Can i take any legal action even though we haven’t paid rent?

If yours is an example of the majority my guess is the park & most of the mobiles will be rendered condemned & not fit for occupancy & only after extensive repairs will new occupancy permits will be issued. I can't believe you're actually still there in such dire conditions.

Move into a new place. Even if you are fixing up the place, it sounds like it will be in better shape than your current home.  If your 8 month old son has had health problems and you believe they are tied to the home, get out now.  His health is more important.

If you aren't paying rent, you shouldn't be surprised that the landlord is telling you to get out. The home may be condemned and she needs you to get out, so she can proceed with her insurance claim.

@Theresa Harris we are, we’re going to visit family, if is allergies aren’t bad then I know it’s this house. All this time I thought he just had allergies, itchy watery eyes and sneezing a lot. I know I had allergies my whole childhood and was on medicine, then I thought about the mold. I’m taking him to the doctor for a check up before we go. I just don’t want to have an eviction notice on my record given the circumstances. We stopped paying rent in this condition because it wasn’t getting fixed, so we could afford to fix the new place and make it safe.

Originally posted by @Anne Bois :

@Theresa Harris we are, we’re going to visit family, if is allergies aren’t bad then I know it’s this house. All this time I thought he just had allergies, itchy watery eyes and sneezing a lot. I know I had allergies my whole childhood and was on medicine, then I thought about the mold. I’m taking him to the doctor for a check up before we go. I just don’t want to have an eviction notice on my record given the circumstances. We stopped paying rent in this condition because it wasn’t getting fixed, so we could afford to fix the new place and make it safe.

If you are withholding rent because the house is not habitable, it needs to be going into a special account (check your local laws) and the landlord needs to be told that is where the rent is going and why.  From what you're saying, it isn't clear if that is happening or if you are not paying rent and using that money to fix your new home.

In most places you have to notify your landlord in writing of unacceptable conditions before you can withhold rent without getting evicted for it. Also in most places, you still owe rent even if the place is unacceptable. The best case here is mutual termination. Sorry to hear all of this - good luck!

Originally posted by @Anne Bois :

@Theresa Harris our neighbor went through the same thing, she went through the court house like it is supposed to be done and she still didn’t fix anything, she had to do it herself, and get her money back from the landlord. NOTHING works.

I would move out.  You have another place lined up, your health and that of your baby is not worth you staying the current place any longer.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here