Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
Votes |
Property Manager provided misinformation about break lease policy

Account Closed
Posted Jan 12 2020, 13:57

I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. I recently accepted a job offer in Los Angeles and as a result I need to break my lease. I officially start my new job 3 weeks from tomorrow. 

A new property management company took control of my property about a month ago. When I inquired about the break lease policy, the property manager told me that they have to adhere to the original lease I signed with the previous management company. She told me specifically that I couldn't find someone to takeover my lease which I've had previously done when I've relocated for a job. She also told me that I had to provide 60 day notice and pay a break lease fee equivalent to one month's of rent within 15 days of giving that notice. 

I decided to take a look at the original and I noticed a section on replacements and subletting (see image below). 

In addition, there's a buy out procedure where I have to provide 60 day's notice and pay a fee equivalent to one month's rent. However, this fee must be paid no later than 60 days of providing notice (see image below). 

So the property manager provided misinformation about both the ability to find a tenant replacement and the actual break lease policy. 

In addition, someone attempted breaking into my apartment recently (see attached police report). I was completely shocked that this would occur at a property like this and more surprised that my apartment was targeted as I live on a fifth-floor unit. I did not receive any sleep that night and I had strongly felt that the new management had failed in its number one priority: to provide a secure living space for its residents which is protected under the implied duty of habitability.

After I brought up these concerns with the management company directly they made no mention of finding a tenant replacement but they provided clarification on the break lease policy (image above). A day after I contacted the management company directly, I received a call with the operations manager saying that I can in fact find someone to take over my lease. She told me that the property manager isn't familiar with the lease under the previous management company. 

I've been trying to find someone to takeover my lease by posting to facebook and craigslist but haven't had any luck yet. I really just want to minimize my loses without having to pay the whole 3 months of rent to buy-out/break my lease. 

Should I try to negotiate on a fair agreement to break my lease with the property management company especially since I was provided misinformation by the property manager? Should I try to get a lawyer involved? What would the best course of action if I'm not able to find a tenant replacement? 

Loading replies...