Votes
Julian Jung
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Duplex rental concerns

Julian Jung
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Feb 20 2013, 20:48

Hey everyone, I just closed escrow on a duplex but I have been having some concerns regarding renting both units out to tenants.

First, I am going to be placing a community washer and dryer but powered by one of the unit's gas and power, should I go about reimbursing the tenant for the utility costs? I'm sure the costs are negligible but it just occurred to me.

Second, while the trash pick-up is paid for by the tenants, how should I go about collecting the payment since there is only one bill. Can trash companies provide a split bill? Or should I just receive the bill and add the halves onto the tenant's monthly rent?

Also, can I trust that the tenants share the backyard in relative peaceful manner? I know most of it is up to me to pick compatible tenants but has anyone ever had to deal with something like this? It's just laughable to imagine a scenario where I have to start designation certain parts of the yard.

Last but not least, am I allowed to screen multiple tenants' application at once? I believe I read somewhere(maybe here somewhere perhaps) about not landlords not allowed to take multiple application fee's at once. I'm going to be holding a open house in a few days and didn't want to blatantly commit something illegal by taking multiple application fee's.

Thanks!

Loading replies...